Friday, September 18, 2009

Information Architects Blog

I had an issue with this article in the sense that while I was reading it the page expired and I still cannot get it to work. So in my response I'll respond on how far I did get.

I agree with the comprehending information steps, I think that in order to understand information you need to test the information against ideas and concepts you already know and look at things from a different vantage point. I think that the article made this very clear and understandable. However, I do not agree with the author when he says that ignorance is something that our society looks down upon. We encourage our students and others to ask question and get answers. The author makes it seem that asking questions is a bad thing to do and I think he is relaying the wrong message.

On page 28 of the article he discusses how when we watch the news or some imformational tv program that we gain more knowledge watching the advertisment commercials and the celebrity gossip than we watching the actual news information. After reading this and creating my own opinion on it I must say that I do agree with him. I think people watch to much tv to begin with, not that I don't myself but it is true, we take in more useless information that we should. Who cares about the celebrities they are overpayed people who don't do much other than spend too much money and adopt children from third world countries. (Angelina Jolie)

I also agree with the authors responce to data and how it is organized and portrayed. With whatever data comes our way we intrepret it to be what we what it to be. The data is organized and put through a process only to show us what we are trying to see, not always what is actually there. I think that people need to see data as it is, without trying to find a deeper meaning in it.

Finally, the point that I couldn't agree with more is the author's statement on how we gain knowledge. We don't gain it through books or literature but we learn through experience. You must build your knowledge yourself and understand it in a way you see fit. We can be ambushed with books and journals and all sorts of things but without experience and the willingness to open your mind and take in the info you gain nothing.


I think this article was well written, I know it made me step back and say wow most of these things he is saying are true, and I think we all need to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment